Thursday 6 March 2014

Xotic - another dairy and soya free yoghurt!

Have you heard of Xotic before?



Dairy free and soya free!

When I first heard of Xotic desserts, I wasn't too sure that I'd like them. Veganoo's review wasn't exactly glowing!!

However, a dairy free dessert that was also gluten and soya free (coconut based) seemed too good to miss, especially once I heard about the calcium content - 120mg per 100g (each pot 125g, so 160mg per pot). It's not as much as Wot no dairy? but is better than Co-yo.

A quick search soon threw up the fact that I could order them from an online vegan store that I've used a few times, now - Alternative StoresAlternative Stores are reliable traders, in my experience, so I wasted no time in ordering the Summer Berry flavour. BUT, it was not cheap - 70p (plus postage costs) is a wee bit expensive for a small pot of yoghurt!!

So how was it?

'Baby' as ever, demanded to try some of the Xotic dessert, but lost interest quite quickly - she really ISN'T a fan of yoghurt! No surprise there, then!!

As someone who used to love thick and creamy Muller fruit corners, in her dairy eating days, it wasn't the best yoghurt I had ever tasted, but neither was it the worst. It was fairly similar, I think, to the Wot no dairy? desserts that I have reviewed in the past, Although not as thick, the flavour is similar. I know that some people love the Wot no dairy? desserts, whereas I prefer something more natural and creamy like Co-yo. Of course, not everyone loves Co-yo, either. So much is down to personal taste.



There's a bit more colour to them than Wot no dairy?

It was, as Veganoo said, not terribly thick, or luxurious. I can certainly see why Veganoo objected to the word 'Deluxe' on the label, but I thought I could detect a creamy flavour to the yoghurt and it wasn't as thin as I thought it would be.

Like Wot no dairy? Xotic desserts contain a lot of ingredients that I can't pronounce, but then, a lot of free from foods are the same - especially if they are long life. The advantage of this, though, is that they don't go out of date quickly, so can be taken in packed lunches and kept in the cupboard for a while without the fear of them going off, and they could even be taken on holiday.

SO what's in them?

Ingredients: 
Summer Berry Flavour Ingredients: Water, Coconut Cream (21%), Summer Berry Fruit Preparation (Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Strawberries (15%), Blueberries (15%), Raspberries (15%), Water, Tapioca Starch, Citric Acid, Natural Flavouring, Anthocyanins, Stabiliser (Xanthan Gum)), D-ionised Grape Juice from Concentrate, Stabilisers (Modified Starch, Guar Gum) Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Emulsifier (Vegetable Mono Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Tri Calcium Phosphate, Natural Flavourings, Natural Colour (Anthocyanins), Vitamin D2, Vitamin B12


And what's more... 
The manufacturers have been kind enough to confirm that these desserts are made in a nut free environment with 'completely nut free ingredients'!
Related posts:














2 comments: