Tuesday 22 July 2014

Life's a Dairy Free Almond Breeze!

If you're dairy free, a grown up, love coffee, are fine with almonds and Carageenan, and you haven't bought this product yet, I've got to ask you, 'Why on earth not?' 

Especially as they're only £1 each in Tesco at the moment!

If, like me, you've been dairy free, breast feeding for a whole lot longer than you imagined you would and are feeling a little left out by life as a result, this is the perfect little 'Pick-Me-Up.' An ideal dairy free refreshment too, for combating the recent heat wave!

I have to confess, one of the things I love about this product is that it's a proper grown-up drink! I also love the fact that it has not been made with soya milk first!



A grown-up drink, not dissimilar to other 'normal' versions!

What do I mean by that? Just that, speaking as a soya free bod (I'm intolerant to soya) everything dairy free seems to be made first with soya - until someone catches on and thinks,  'Oh! why don't we make that with coconut milk or almond milk instead?' This 'catching on' can sometimes take a fair bit of time!

Made by Almond Breeze, an American firm, whose almond milks can be purchased in most good, large supermarkets, there are two flavours: Mocha and Cappuchino. I've tried both and both hit the spot for me - that's even though I thought I wouldn't enjoy the Mocha as I'm not usually a huge fan of mixing my coffee with my chocolate! But, actually, they don't taste that much differently from each other, although the Mocha may taste marginally sweeter.

So...

What's in them?

Mocha ingredients: 
Spring Water, Raw Cane Sugar, Almonds (1.4%), Fat-reduced Cocoa, Acidity Regulator: Dipotassium Phosphate; Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Stabiliser: Caragennan, Gellan Gum; Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin. High Caffeine, 11.5mg/100ml.




Cappuccino ingredients:
Spring Water, Raw Cane Sugar, Almonds (1.4%), Acidity Regulator: Dipotassium Phosphate; Calcium Carbonate, Sea Salt, Stabiliser: Caragennan, Gellan Gum; Emulsifier: Sunflower Lecithin. High Caffeine, 11.5mg/100ml.




In addition, they state they are:
  • Free from Dairy, Eggs and Lactose.
  • No soya, Peants, Gluten or MSG.

What about the caffeine?

Well, it's made with coffee, so it stands to reason there's caffeine in these drinks. 40mg of caffeine per 100ml, to be precise. As each bottle contains 250ml of iced coffee, that's 100mg of caffeine per bottle. 

To put this into context, there's 32mg of caffeine in a can of Coca Cola and 150mg of caffeine in a Starbucks Grande Latte although this was contested by Chemical and Engineering News who reckon said latte contains 330mg (WOWZERS!! 

If you're pregnant, it's recommended, by the NHS, that you drink no more than 200mg of caffeine per day. 

For those who are breastfeeding, there is no clear advice. NHS advice recommends drinking caffeine 'occasionally,' i.e. not everyday, but other places suggest otherwise. Personally, I'd follow Kelly Moms advice, which is  to take your cue from your baby - if it's not sleeping, cut down the caffeine!!


Where can you get them?

I've only seen them in Tesco, so far - in the chilled section, alongside all the 'normal' iced coffees, rather than the 'Free From' section. They can be found in Tescos of all different sizes, which makes them quite handy, to get hold of. In my Tesco, they're quite close to the cow's milk.



Sold alongside 'normal' iced coffee!


How much are they?

Normally they're priced at £1.29 but right now they're on offer at £1. I hope the fact that they're on offer doesn't mean they're struggling. I hope they're around for a lot longer yet, as I genuinely think that even if I didn't have to be dairy free I'd enjoy drinking them. 

As for me, whilst they're on offer, I'm buying them like they're going out of fashion! Well you've got to make the most of an offer like this, haven't you?

As it happens, they slip down the throat so well, I've just drunk two whilst writing this post! Oops!!


If you looking for other Dairy Substitutes, such as milk, cream, cheese, yogurt and ice cream, why not check out this page on the blog:





No comments:

Post a Comment