Tuesday 21 May 2013

Oh-oh-oh! Dairy free, gluten free Oreos!!

Well, believe it or not, although I'm a huge fan of that drug called chocolate, I've never been a huge fan of Oreos. In fact, I think I tried one not long before I had Baby and I was completely underwhelmed - they tasted so... well... artificial - really not my cup of tea, at all. Which was why, when I first heard that the UK version of Oreos no longer had milk in the ingredients, I was like, 'Yadda, yadda, yadda! Who really cares about that? I still can't eat them, because they're not gluten free, and 'Baby' can't eat them, because they may contain milk, BUT I'll pass the information on anyway.' 

End of... or so I thought...

However that was before The Hub found these:

They look like the real deal, don't they?
Not strictly Oreos, of course, actually they're O'chocos, and you know what? Whether they resemble Oreos or not, I don't care because I love them! They're so much nicer, in my humble opinion. And they're obviously a hit with other people too, because at the weekend Ocado sold out (well they were on offer too). 

Here's what to look out for
They're made by Free From food manufacturers, Lovemore (who will be at the The Allergy and Free From Show in London in June), and are marketed as gluten free, but just so happen to be dairy free, as well. You can buy them online here.

Lovemore also make these Bourbons:

Here's the Bourbons
I crunched into one, but had to stop with one, because I started to read the label and discovered they contained soya flour*. Pants! Now I'm okay with soya lecithin, which is used to make the Oreos, but not so, with soya milk or soya flour.

I have to admit, I was quite disappointed, as the Bourbons were yummy too. C 'est la vie, I guess - all par for the course with multiple food intolerance!

Now, for those of you who need to know, here's what's in them:

O'Choco ingredients:
Rice flour, sugar, vegetable fats, corn starch, cocoa powder, potato starch, corn flour, dextrose, glucose syrup, refined sunflower oil, rice starch, raising agent: sodium hydrocarbonate, thickener: Xanthan gum, flavourings, emulsifier: soy lecithin, table salt.

Allergy Information:
Free from: Gluten, Wheat and milk.
Contains: soya.
Suitable for coeliacs and dairy sufferers.

Bourbon ingredients:
Rice flour, potato starch, sugar, vegetable fat, maize starch, cocoa powder, glucose syrup, soya flour, unrefined brown cane sugar, refined sunflower oil, thickener: xanthan gum, salt, emulsifier: soya lecithin, natural vanilla flavouring.

Allergy information:
Free from: gluten, wheat and milk.
Contains: soya.
Suitable for coeliac and dairy allergy sufferers.

*Why gluten free food manufacturers insist on using such a common allergen as soya, I'll never know. DS Specials are another offender in this respect, with their bread and gluten free digestives, which are really quite yummy and almost wheat-like! The digestives are also handy to take out as they come in little packs of five - just right for slipping in your bag or pocket. Baby loves these too, not that she's gluten free of course!

3 comments:

  1. I'm lucky I can eat Oreos but it's nice to know there is an alternative. I shall keep my eye out for them at the Allergy Show as my sister might like them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You should try them - they might be better than the original! ;)

      Delete
  2. I have desperately missed Oreos (I still say an Oreo milkshake is the best shake I ever drank) since I was diagnosed with coeliac disease, so I am very excited to see these! Can't wait for the allergy show!

    ReplyDelete