Wednesday 7 March 2012

And there's more... Milk substitutes

Look what I found!
Lookee here!  Not content with soya, and almond, it seems like Alpro is going all out to become the milk substitute of choice! Alpro has now brought out a 'hazelnut drink' (spotted in the chiller cabinet at Tescos the other day and also on the shelf at Waitrose). 

Although I think choice is a good thing, I'm not sure that bringing out more nut based milk substitutes is a good idea. It makes me wonder what Alpro's rationale is - especially as nut allergies are so common these days. 

I haven't tried it yet, I wonder if anyone else has given it a go...

Personally, what I'd like them to do, is to expand their dessert and yoghurt ranges  - making them with something else other than soya (as many people who are intolerant of dairy also cannot tolerate soya). Now there's an idea!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Now that my baby and I are dairy/soy free I find that I'm missing yoghurt and other dessert type things. It would be great to see more choice in that category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dairyfreebabyandme15 March 2012 at 16:07

    Ouch! Dairy and soy for you both! If you haven't already tried it, I tried a pea protein yoghurt (from the health food shop) I didn't think it was all that great (maybe that's just me)but gave it a try, 'cos the lady in the shop said her daughter liked it. I noticed the other day that Cheezly also make a pea protein cheese substitute. Not tried it yet, so can't comment on that one! Meanwhile, Worthenshaw's make a dairy and soya free ice cream and the chocolate version is quite OK!!

    ReplyDelete