Monday 28 May 2012

Simple Sausage Casserole

So tonight, despite all the heat we've been having, I found myself making flower shaped carrots for our sausage casserole. Yes, you heard me casserole! But it was that or Spaghetti Bolognese today, partly because I forgot to buy my special pasta, when I was out shopping today, but also because The Hub ordered our food the other day, and this is what was left in the fridge!

Flowery carrots
Oh, and if you're wondering about the flower shaped carrots - that's just a ploy to get Baby to eat them. It's a trick of my mother-in-law's invention. You draw a zester several times down the length of the carrot, creating grooves in the surface. When you cut through the carrot the flower shape can be seen. Sometimes flowery carrots work and sometimes they don't! Anyway, back to the casserole...

Our sausage casserole began with a Jamie Oliver recipe that I found in Sainbury's a few years ago. It was one of those 'Feed your family for a fiver' recipes. Of course you could only feed your family for a fiver if you bought some of your ingredients from their 'Basics' range, and, if I'm totally honest, it wasn't really enough to feed a family larger than three (in my humble opinion). Anyway, it was quite tasty and so I made it from time to time, just for me and The Hub - the leftovers were next day's lunch!

We've changed it slightly though - we took out the pepper and red onion and added tomato soup! It works though - you'll see!

One of the things I like about this dish, apart from the fact that it contains sausages (which I lurve) is that it is what I call a 'One Pot Wonder' - which basically boils down to everything being chucked into the same pot and less washing up - which suits me just fine!!


Ingredients:

3-4 carrots
3-4 sweet potatoes
1 courgette
dollop or two of olive oil
1 pack of sausages*
1 carton of tomato soup (ours was Covent Garden) or a jar of tomato pasta sauce.


Method:

1. Warm oven up to 200 degrees C.
2. Peel and chop carrots and sweet potatoes.
3. Put a couple of dollops of olive oil in a large oven dish.
4. Add Sweet potatoes, carrots and sausages.
5. Pour carton of tomato soup over the ingredients and stir in together.
6. Put in oven for 25 mins (of 45-50 in total).
7. Add courgette 20 minutes from the end.

Ta da!


*When food became more of a problem, for me, I felt my world close in around me somewhat, but, realising that some of my favourite recipes were still achievable made things a bit more bearable. Sausage casserole is just one of them - we simply make sure we use gluten free and dairy free sausages. The ones we consumed today, were Rankin's but there's quite a range out there that are suitable (not just the ones in the Free From section). They're usually the 'high end' ones, that are a little more expensive, but are made with a higher percentage of pork - which is always a plus as far as I'm concerned! We also like Heck.

No comments:

Post a Comment